COVID Vaccine Update #1
Thursday 18 Feb 2021
HSUWA has received correspondence from the Director-General of the Department of Health WA on 7 February 2021. It has been indicated to us, in conjunction with national and state public health information, that:
The COVID-19 vaccine will initially be made available to the highest priority groups under Phase 1a.
These people include:
- Quarantine hotel workers;
- International airport workers with face-to-face contact with travellers;
- Security and clinical staff at the international airport;
- Transport staff involved in-flight crew and quarantine hotel transfers;
- Defined staff at seaports; and
- Identified emergency and ward staff at Fiona Stanley Hospital and Royal Perth Hospital who receive and treat the bulk of international arrivals.
- Aged Care and Disability staff
- Staff in COVID-19 testing clinics
- Clinical labs, pathology, diagnostic services who work with COVID-19
- COVID-19 vaccination workforce
All members identified under Phase 1a would have been contacted via email with a hyperlink to a platform called Vaccinate WA to book the vaccination.
You can see the proposed phases on the WA Department of Health website, and updates published in the media releases.
The first vaccine to be administered will be on Monday 22 February 2021, and it will be the Pfizer BioNTech vaccine. The first 6 WA centres that have been named as COVID-19 vaccine hubs are:
- Perth Children’s Hospital;
- Albany Health Campus;
- Hedland Health Campus;
- Kalgoorlie Health Campus;
- Geraldton Health Campus; and
- Broome Health Campus.
The vaccines will be delivered by the Child and Adolescent Health Service and WA Country Health Service.
The Oxford AstraZeneca vaccine is expected to arrive in March.
As a WA health worker, you can register for vaccination using your health email account's WA health system booking system. You will be prompted to do this.
HSUWA is actively seeking better communication and consultation with the Department of Health about the vaccine roll-out, particularly around workforce planning and timing. We will keep members updated.