The Union`s activities, achievements, improvements in wages and conditions are resourced by member contributions. All employees benefit from the Union`s Awards and Agreements and therefore ALL have a responsibility to contribute.
With constant workplace change and increasingly complex employment laws and practices the need for strong collective action has never been greater. The HSUWA continues to organise to protect and improve members` pay, conditions, and job security.
If you have chosen for whatever reason to let your membership lapse, or not to join, you should not automatically expect assistance from the Union in the event that you run into difficulties at work.
In response to the increasing numbers of people seeking assistance from the HSUWA who are not members, the Committee of Management has adopted a ”Non-Member Service Policy”. The policy is published below.
If you are reading this and you have let your membership lapse, or not yet joined, now is the time to do something about it.
Objectives of the HSUWA (Extract from the Rules of the HSUWA)
The objectives of the Union are:
- To protect and further the interests of its members by any lawful means.
- To secure for its members preference in employment and promotion, and the right of appeal.
- To raise funds by means of contributions, subscriptions and/or levies for the purpose of carrying out the objects of the Union.
- To conduct negotiations with the employers, or make application to industrial tribunals, or effect industrial agreements to regulate conditions under which members of the Union shall be employed.
- To acquire any rights and privileges which [members and] the Union may regard as necessary, and ensure the preservation to members of the Union of all rights and privileges now enjoyed.
Non-Members Service Policy
In accordance with these objectives:
Except to the extent necessary for the Union to conduct its business, persons who are not members of the HSUWA will receive no advice or service. Such advice or service will be reserved for members only.
Persons who join the HSUWA with a pre-existing workplace issue will not receive assistance in relation to that issue/problem, unless determined otherwise by the Secretary and/or the Committee of Management.