HSUWA Enterprise Bargaining Agreement 2018 Member Survey
Tuesday 13 Feb 2018
It is hard to believe that two years has already gone by and we are back at the negotiating table to get you a new Enterprise Agreement! The HSUWA has initiated the bargaining process with the Western Australian Department of Health to replace the expiring 2016 Agreement (see here for a copy).
2018 is shaping up as a tough bargaining environment:
- In May 2017 the new State Labor Government implemented a public sector wages policy that seeks to restrict wage increases in all new enterprise agreements to $1,000 per annum for full time employees. The policy is stated to apply for the full four-year term of Government. For further information see here. To date the police, hospital support staff and state public servants have all accepted new Agreements that include the $1,000 cap.
- The last two years has also seen enormous system changes with the introduction of the Health Services Act from 1 July 2016. We now have both board governed and chief executive governed Health Service Providers. The Department has undergone significant structural change as it has moved to a system manager role.
- Major delays to Hospital infrastructure projects remain a theme although our PMH members are looking forward with hope that May will see the start of the phased move to the new Children’s Hospital.
- We are awaiting with interest the soon to be released interim report from the ‘Sustainable Health Review’ and any recommendations that are made.
- Members report a continual ramping up of cost and resource pressures and ongoing frustrations with growing piles of paperwork required to get anything done.
- Budget restrictions leading to delays in filling vacancies (if filled at all!), fixed term contracts, voluntary redundancies and staff cutbacks
This all adds up to a challenging time to be negotiating and we need, more than ever, your support and engagement to get the best possible result for all HSUWA members.
The first phase of negotiating a new Agreement is ensuring we know what you would like to see in it. Complete our short survey now by clicking here and submitting it no later than 2 March. A high response rate with plenty of information and input from you gives us the best chance of shaping an Agreement that works well for you and your colleagues.
The HSUWA is also scheduling workplace EBA meetings across all metropolitan hospital sites throughout March and will publish the full schedule of dates soon. As in previous years, video conferences will be scheduled for WACHS members.
These are very important opportunities to have your say on the claims so please look out for further information, come along to a meeting and encourage your colleagues too.
We will be liaising closely with our Workplace Representatives so if you don’t have an elected Rep in your Department or Service, you should consider nominating now (complete this form and return it to the Union office) or tap a colleague on the shoulder who you think would make a great Rep.
Speaking of forms! Your dues pay for the work of the Union and there is never a better time to ask your colleagues to join than now.
As always, if you have any queries please email or call the union office. Remember complete the survey ASAP – click here to do so.
Thanks for your support and input and we look forward to hearing your thoughts soon.