HSUWA State Budget Submission
Thursday 26 Aug 2021
The HSUWA has prepared a submission for the upcoming State Budget for 2021-22 including the following priorities:
- The impacts of COVID-19 and supporting WA health workers: we outline that the return on investment in health is stronger than ever and we trust the State Government will not lose sight of that amongst the many competing interests the government must weigh. Health must come first.
- Public sector health worker wages: we call for the State Government to scrap the public sector wages cap of $1,000.
- Sustainable Health Review Final Report 2019: we call for a commitment to fund a planned implementation of the recommendations without any further delay.
- Addressing staff shortages and health workforce planning: we highlight the need for investment in the Department of Health’s capability to centrally coordinate effective health workforce planning and call for the State Government to target 90% permanent employment for public sector HSPs by the end of 2022.
- Safety at work: we seek a transition to a strong safety culture across health though the new standards and structures under the Work Health Safety Act and call for the reinvigoration of the systemwide Stop the Violence workforce strategy across all health services, including a focus on improving the resourcing for security officers.
- Providing the Mental Health Services needed for Western Australians: we implore the State Government to fully fund the State Mental Health Plan and, ensure the needs of our young Western Australians are not forgotten - with immediate improvements to ensure timely access to treatment for children and adolescents and fully funding the recommendations of the ICA Taskforce as a priority.
- Innovation, infrastructure and climate change: we request the State Government fully resource the establishment of the Sustainable Development Unit and action the recommendations of the WA Climate Health Inquiry Final Report 2020.
This list of focus areas is certainly not exhaustive, but are the key focuses for the HSUWA to best represent the needs of our members. HSUWA continues to advocate every day on behalf of its members across the Public and Private sectors to improve pay and conditions for WA Health Workers.
Members can access a copy of the HSUWA’s full budget submission with all recommendations here.