Here you can find all the details regarding HSUWA Student Membership. If you’re ready to join, sign up today!

Who can be a Student Member?

To be eligible for HSUWA Student Membership you need to be enrolled in a course of study (University, TAFE or RTO) where on graduation you will likely undertake an occupation covered the HSUWA.

For a list of occupations covered by HSUWA, check out our Who Can Join page here.

What is Student Membership?

Student Membership is a special type of membership for ‘not working’ members (also known as an associate membership).

If you start paid work during your studies, we strongly encourage you to join the union that has industrial coverage for that work. This may include HSUWA if you work for instance, as an Allied Health Assistant or in a clerical role in health.

Student Membership Advantages

Why join? You’ll get:

  • Support and information
  • Help to make connections during clinical placements
  • Invitations to large events and activities
  • Career Bulletins about relevant topics e.g. Dealing with Challenges During Clinical Placements, Contract of Employment Checklists, Preparing for Your First Job in Health and Work Health and Safety

What is a Union?

Great question! For more information about what unions do and who their members are, visit our page on Australian Unions.

What happens when I graduate?

When you graduate and start paid work in the occupation you have trained for, we can help you transfer to full membership. Not only will you receive the first month free, but as a full member you will have all the benefits of union membership, including Professional Indemnity Insurance cover!

Student members will be contacted before their anticipated graduation date to enable a smooth transition to full membership, including Professional Indemnity Insurance cover.

We keep membership contributions as low as possible – for more information click here.

Group of health students in scrubs with a female health student holding a pen in the foreground.