Protect Us. Respect Us. Pay Us.
Health Services Union of WA Members are on the front line of the pandemic response and continue to work above and beyond to ensure the WA community is cared for.
However, being on the front lines means we are at greater risk. We are working in tough and challenging conditions, where we must balance the unrelenting pressures for services with safe infection controls. Many of us are working in full PPE over long shifts. The demands of responding to the pandemic are real, affecting us and impacting our families and loved ones.
We are committed to providing the best health care available for the WA community and we call on our employers to Protect, Respect and Pay us.
Protect us. Step up and commit to:
- Providing the best PPE and workplace ventilation.
- Ensuring safe staffing levels, proper breaks and rest.
- Implement at least 20 days paid COVID Leave for isolation and recovery from illness.
Respect us. Listen to what we are telling you loud and clear, and:
- Recruit and plan the future health workforce now.
- Commit to no more than 10% of workers in insecure jobs.
- Retain your highly qualified and specialised health professionals by acknowledging the complexity of their work has changed and new pay structures are needed.
Pay Us. For too long we have accepted less than we deserve:
- Increase pay by at least 4% each year for the next 3 years and shows us you value our expertise. (HSUWA Members reserve the right to increase their claim based on cost of living pressures - if CPI goes over 4% HSUWA will claim the Perth CPI figure).
- Ensure pay equity on basic entitlements, like shift penalties and when on-call, across all health employees.
- Immediately implement a COVID Allowance to retain the people needed to manage the extra workload, face higher risks and work in PPE.
Action on Pay
17 August 2022 - Rally with the Public Sector Alliance at Parliament House Action to be endorsed by members at the Stop Work Meetings if there is no better and fairer pay deal! 12:30pm outside Parliament House. REGISTER HERE.
Past Action HSUWA Members have taken is below.
HSUWA Delegates across the State endorsed a plan of action . We began with a short Stop Work Meeting at 12.30pm on Wednesday 6 July 2022 at QEII, with more hospital sites following. Members attended and showed solidarity.
Wednesday, 6 July 2022 at QEII. Stop Work Meeting: 12.30pm sharp (for approx 30 minutes on the grass between PCH and the multi storey car park).
Wednesday, 20 July 2022 at Royal Perth Hospital. Stop Work Meeting: 12:30pm sharp (for approx 30 minutes on the grass near R Block on Wellington Street Perth)
Wednesday, 3 August 2022 at Fiona Stanley Hospital. Stop Work Meeting: 12:30pm sharp (for approx 30 minutes, Moitch Park, Fiona Stanley Hostpial)
How Can You Help?
Attend the Rally at Parliament House on Wednesday 17 August. Register here.
Share our campaign
Download the below campaign materials to share our message across WA.
Download our key messages and campaign asks to share with your colleagues
Use #ProtectRespectPayWA when posting on social media.
Tell Your Story